10.26.2011

A quick car bomb on the ramp

It's been a pretty fast ramp up. I hit 96 miles in 7 trailing days last Friday, and 82 miles for the week. That's much quicker than I anticipated hitting that level, and so far so good. I'm starting to feel like things are coming together.

Lots of decent running last week too. The real entertainment came on Wednesday night's speed workout: We skipped the track and opted for a super long fartlek on the lakefront in 20mph winds with gusts up to 60mph. Tracking would've been useless in those conditions. ...It was cold, it was ultra windy, it was uncomfortable. Lots of random repeats at varying paces. Tons of effort. All in all, a grueling workout with over 28 minutes of pure speed that put hair on the balls of my feet. A 19 mile day after doubling.

A nice surprise came with the
Oak Park Frank Lloyd Wright 10K - I ran 34:38. It really is far from what I should be able to run (guessing least sub 34?), but I'm happy with it since it was my first "race" in a while and I was pretty strong through the whole thing. Ironically, I PR'd by about 6 seconds too. My last 10K was the 2009 FLW, 2 weeks after popping my 2:40 cherry, and just before I got my stress facture. (knock on wood). Just goes to show how much we should enjoy healthy running while we can.

Anyhoo, I celebrated this minor victory at FLW with a car bomb on Sunday. This leaves in a good spot with my training. I'm now in a cut-back week. Took Monday off, which will probably be my last day off for a while. I'll race again this coming weekend with the
Carrera de los Muertos 5K, and then I pop for three hard weeks at >90 miles each... That'll be make or break time. My final prep-test before CIM will be the venerable and hometown favorite: Buffalo Turkey Trot 8K... the oldest road race in America.

FLW 10K split recap:
1- 5:27
2- 5:44 (whoops!)
3- 5:37
4- 5:33
5- 5:30
6- 5:35
.2- 1:12
Tot: 34:39 / Avg: 5:34
6th over all, 2nd age group

No comments:

Post a Comment