2.03.2009

Welcome to Coursing

While searching for a new and more effective means to document my training and progress as a runner and road racer, I have been inspired by the works of my fellow teammates, Dan McDowell and Jason Ream. Therefore, I have chosen to start a more formal runner’s log and post on this site.

The purpose of this weblog is to hold myself accountable for my weekly workouts and training regime. It is a training tool for learning about myself; a log to find out what works and doesn’t work, or what helps me and what breaks me. In the process, I hope to possibly gain some additional self-motivation for the pursuit of my goals – whatever they may be.

I intend to post information about running, maybe some random interests, and life in general. After all, one naturally feeds upon the other. Running is a great way to escape the daily grind; I have found it to be a very effective medicine for maintaining a sound mind, body, and soul.

Thus, the objective of this blog is to help further motive and inspire myself in order to get through the trials and tribulations of running, racing, and more importantly – life itself. For anyone following this weblog, I encourage feedback or comments. I cannot guarantee – nor am I overly concerned that this will be of any interest to anyone other than me, but I hope that some readers find it at least mildly entertaining and helpful for his or her own personal development.

SO....


******** WELCOME TO COURSING ********

Coursing is a game of chase; a hunt with the use of animals running after the prey, or a more formal and intense version of “cat and mouse”. Typically the hunt involves dogs (often greyhounds or lurchers), chasing their lure (often a rabbit, hare or fox). Bets are often wagered on the outcome.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of blood sports. Sure, it’s cool to watch these incredibly fast animals run, but I don’t enjoy seeing things get hurt or die. - Interestingly enough, the prey rarely get caught (stats show only a 1:7 chance). See
wiki for more information (because I know someone’s gonna say “prove it”).

The point being… In running and road racing we often have a rabbit, or a pace setter. Elites use offical pace setters to help them race. Other runners simply put a mental target on someone else’s back. The rabbit is someone being chased. The goal would be to stay with that rabbit for as long as possible and then try to pass him or her. Undoubtedly, the term “rabbit” comes from coursing.
In everyday life, this isn't too different from "Keeping up with the Joneses".

I AM THE RABBIT.
YOUR ARE MY LURCHER.
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment