2.11.2009

Force Majeure

Force Majeure. Sometimes things are out of my hands... OK, maybe this hasn't out of my hands and I pushed some limits, but I had to step in to prevent the situation from getting worse. After taking only 1 day off in the last month, I had to take tonight off - and skip my speed workout (I know, that seems unthinkable!). BUT, the weather is garbage (rain and high winds), I'm being lazy (not wanting to hike uptown to the track), and some lingering soreness and a lack of sleep have all added up to needing to pull the plug.

I feel like I've been skating on thin ice the last couple weeks. I've had random aches and pains that come with bumping my mileage back up to 60+, but a lack of sleep lately has been exasperating these issues. After all the damn training I've done over the years, you'd think I would've learned by now... quality sleep is one of the most important parts of the recovery process. I've been getting by with 6-7 hours a night for the last couple weeks. That's no good. To cap it off, work continues to be stressful... as our economy is sitting on the brink of depression, and let's be honest... I haven't been the most healthy person lately... way too much alkihol and grease for a runner's diet.


SO, my internal powers that be have forced myself to take a step back. To most non-runners, this sounds pathetic. I mean, heaven forbid I don't run 1 day! But mentally, I'm struggling with it at the moment. The goal is simple though: prevent myself from creating problems that are beyond easier solutions. I'll reassess tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment