8.13.2012

I accidentally ran 100 miles.

Whoops.  I didn't mean it.  Honestly.

How does one go about accidentally running 100 miles in 7 days?  Easy.  The heat wave takes a breather, you squeeze in a few doubles, each day has at least 10 miles, streak 7 days, do a 20 mile long run... add a few miles here and there because you felt like going a little longer... and there you have it.  100.  (And to think there was a time that I feared this number).

Since I took last Sunday off, it only amounted to 86 miles last week.  After running longer than expected yesterday, the 7 day Monday-thru-Sunday streak added up to 100. 

Yesterday, I put in 14 miles.  It was supposed to be a shorter, recovery run yet for some reason I felt good and started stretching it out.  At one point, I realized that if I went 14 then I would hit 100.  It didn't take much convincing from there.  Given one of the more accommodating days of the summer, I even turned the run into somewhat of an aggressive progression towards MGP.  So much for an easy recovery. 

That was the theme of the last week... steadily upping my miles and effort as the weather improved from being unbearable to very manageable.  It's amazing how much better you feel, when you're not sweating buckets after 2 miles or suffering from heat exhaustion. 

This bump is at least a couple weeks ahead of schedule.  I'll try to press on for a few more days before heading up to the cabin.  From there, it's 2 solid weeks of hill work.

I still feel a little behind in my overall training, but for the first time I'm starting to think that I'll be able to pull my training together in time for October 7th.

No comments:

Post a Comment