1.06.2014

2634 or 3146? Doesn't matter, still busted.

In 2013, I hit 2,634 miles.

That was a PR in terms of total miles in any given calendar year. However, I only ran about 10 months in 2013. I've hardly gone a step since the NYC marathon in early November, which was now two months ago.

If I look back to the stretch between training from Philly '12 through Chicago '13, I peaked out at 3,146 miles in a 12 month period. I had a span of nearly 6 months where on any given day my trailing 12 month mileage was over 2,900. Now that was running!

Of course, look where I am now. Got me all banged up. All because some tiny muscle balled itself up and never let go. My problem started in my adductor and has spread like a cancer to my hip flexor and lower abdomen. Obviously training on it didn't help, and my final marathon only made it that much worse. I found my limit and exceeded it. It's probably somewhere between the numbers 2,900 and 3,146.

I'm not trying to be a drama queen and chalk my career up just yet. Don't worry. But whatever is going on with me is not pleasant. As it stands now, this is gonna my biggest break from running in over 10 years. Each passing day is like a new fat-boy PR. At least when I had my stress fracture, I knew what was wrong and how long it would take to heal. This is totally different. Whether it is sports hernia or some soft tissue tear... Two months later and any small workout or run I attempt puts me back to square one. My own self PT has not helped. It just won't heal.

Anyway, I drew a line on January 1st, and am now going to see a doctor and PT. I have a Dr appointment tomorrow with some guy that I'm sure wants to cut me for a lot of money. I've already been screened by a PT... he's given me some comfort that it might not be all that bad. He's my hope. I've also had some massages, which have offered some temporary relief.

SO, 2014 here we are! My primo condition is pretty much gone. Yet I am signed up for the Boston and Berlin Marathons. Boston is most likely a DNS at this point... a miracle would be needed to make that happen. Hopefully I'll find out in the next week if miracles are possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment