9.01.2015

Big Boy 13 Mile Tempo

JR: "Are you fit?"
RW: "I didn't get to run as much as I wanted (at cabin), but I think so."
RW: "I need a big tempo to see where I'm at."
JR: "Bingo... We're doing 13 at 5:50 tonight. You're in."

I initially cringed at the idea. Coming off the ADK hills, I wasn't sure what was in my legs, let alone being 2 days out from a 25 miler. I wanted a "bigger" tempo last night, but I was only thinking 8 or maybe 9 miles. 13 seemed almost too big! Add to it, that it was close to 80 degrees when we started (75ish at finish), and very humid.

Nonetheless, I manned up. It was myself, Jason, Anu, Lionel, and Adam Palumbo. Lionel is way faster than I am. Jason and Adam are wild cards, depending on where they are in training. And Anu has been getting big miles and still in his breaking out mode. I was merely hoping that I could hang on to the pack and stick to the plan, which was to roll out at about 5:55-6:00 range, and back at 5:50-5:55's.

We ran south on the lakefront from the Chicago Loop, going an out-and-back. The first few miles were right on cue... 5:55's. I didn't have my watch, but the other guys were calling splits as we ran. So far, it was very smooth for me. I just tried to set it on autopilot, and hoped/prayed that this near-MGP wasn't going to get too uncomfortable.

After about 5 miles, we started chipping it closer to 5:50's. It was a little sooner than we wanted to push it, but it still didn't feel too badly so I went with the flow. So far, so good.

Just before the 6.5mi turn, we were now dipping just below 5:50. Jason and Anu backed off to get a drink of water and recover for a few minutes, then jumped back aboard after the turn. Sweat was flying everywhere. Shoes began to squish. The train rolled on.

At about around 7.5-8 miles, Lionel put in a surge going over a small hill at around 47th Street. Adam followed. I responded, but not quite as extreme. I fell about 5 seconds off. They later claimed they dropped a 5:40 on that mile. Anu and Jason were just off my back. Anu grabbed back on to me within the next mile, while Adam stopped for the bathroom. Anu and I now were following Lionel, though he was no longer gapping us. Steady 5:45-5:48s.

Hot and humid. No stopping for water. Fortunately no real wind. At about 9 miles, I was still keeping control, albeit it now more taxing. Anu continued to work with me, as we gradually closed on Lionel. He was now starting to pull back a little, as he was getting cramps. He wound up stopping for a few minutes. I know the feeling all too well on nights like this, and I was lucky it didn't happen to me. The heat and humidity are workout killers.

With about 3 miles go to, I was soaking in sweat right down to my toes. The salt was irritating my eyes. We were hitting about 5:45's. I still had my stride, but it was clearly work at this point. Autopilot was no longer an option. As long as we didn't push the pace too much, I knew I could hang on until the finish. Then Anu dropped off at 11.5 miles. I was solo. Now the real work had to begin.

Without a watch, I'm not sure of the final 1.5mi splits. I was going faster than I intended, just to get it over with. I used Dolgin Hill to propel myself forward and closed the final half mile the best I could yet still in control. Judging by the gap between myself and Anu at the finish, I believe I still averaged 5:45's... maybe down to a 5:40 in final mile.

Technically we ran 13.1 miles... I believe I averaged about 5:50, which would've resulted in a ~1:16:28, give or take. Not too shabby considering I didn't take a drop of water or stop on this hot and humid Monday nite tempo. It's nights like this that I'm lucky to have guys to train with.  There is no way I would've done this on my own!! 

Going back to the original question, "Are you fit?"... I'm in my final peak week of training. I'm certainly getting there. I hesitate to say that I'm in PR shape just yet. And there are too many variables between now and 9/20... But if I can keep myself rolling, then I could have a shot. My next tests will be a larger track workout on Wednesday, 10K on Sunday, another larger track workout next Wednesday, and finally a MGP tune up at the Lake Zurich Half Marathon.

Est'd Split Recap:
1- 5:55
2- 5:57
3- 5:55
4- 5:55
5- 5:50
6- 5:50
7- 5:45
8- 5:45
9- 5:48
10- 5:48
11- 5:45
12- 5:45
13- 5:43
Avg 5:49.5

No comments:

Post a Comment