10.18.2017

My 25th (Unofficial) Marathon

I'm pushing the redline with my training right now. I've officially entered a place where I've never been before. My runs has become unconventional, to say the least.

Let's back up a week...

I topped off my second-out-of-four peak weeks with a 22 miler on that Saturday. That was my second 90+ week, and I had just started to bump towards 100. Nothing particularly special about that run, but the next morning was the Chicago Marathon. I volunteered to pace with Anu and Jeff Hoj for the second half of the race. It was a great way to help those guys out, and get a fully supported tempo run at MGP. I ran with the guys for a little over 12 miles, and we averaged a 5:58 pace... the day after I ran a 22 miler... and with a cool down, that put me at 100mi in 7 days... and I felt totally fine.

Then throughout the rest of last week, I poured the miles on in order to keep the 100 going. Despite some nasty and lonely runs in the pouring rain, and being a little tired... I held up well. The only problem I had was Thursday, when I was forced to take Hella Spring to the shop instead of running a track workout. That created a slight pull back, but I still ran easy on the day and it allowed me to recover.

Here's where it gets interesting though... over the weekend, Sasha and I were up in Sister Bay, Wisconsin. I still needed to do my long run, which capped off week three of the peak. What better of a way to do it, than a tour of the Door County peninsula? It just so happened that I mapped out a 26.25mi route. This was the first time ever in my training that I would push the distance prior to racing the distance. I've done 24 plenty, and even 25... so all I could think was, "What's the difference as long as I just keep it in control?"

The course was basically an out and back loop with many exit points to cut it short. Weather was perfect... in the low 50s, sunny, with a slight headwind for the first half followed by tailwind in the second half. I carried my own gatorade and a gu.

I kept it as calm as possible, for as long as possible... with the intention of surviving unscathed and being able to continue my training. Generally speaking, the most of the run was pretty steady. Uphills were around 7:15s, and everything else was 6:55-7:00. A few miles later were pushed down to 6:40-45, with a little help from the wind. All in, I ran 3:02:19... right about 6:57 pace.

I stopped the clock briefly at half way to take a gu, enjoy the view, and appreciate the fact that I ran up to the northernmost tip of the peninsula. When I finished the run, I was tired, but surprisingly not trashed. I didn't even take any real downtime! I quickly showered, and went out the door to the Fall Fest.

Sunday morning, I was tight, but not terrible. I didn't have any difficulty going down stairs. I basically just felt like I did a bigger, long run. Seriously, I've done 15 milers before and felt way worse! The point is... I ran a marathon in my training for my marathon, and it didn't bother me!! It's not like I even tapered for it. That also closed out the week at 100. I went 11 miles the next afternoon, once we got back to Chicago. Either I'm stupid or I'm stupid fit right now. Maybe a little of both?

So on top of that, Monday's lunchrun included a 7mi tempo... 48 hours after this "26th" marathon. Splits were solid: 5:44.8, 5:53.8, 5:48.5, 5:37.1, 5:35.7, 5:31.8, 5:28.6... for a 5:40.0 average. Looking back at some of my numbers, excluding races, this was one of my faster tempos.

Last night was 16 after work, and today was 11 at lunch. I was definitely more tired for those runs than I would've liked, but I should be. This is my fourth week of packing on the miles... the last three weeks were 95, 92, and 100. This week will be another mid-90s.

The peak will round out with my big boy 20x400s tomorrow (Thursday). 18-20 again on Saturday. On Sunday, I'm returning to the Naperville Half Marathon for a tune-up/extended MGP/progression run.

In the end, I'm going to have about 1,150 miles in the 15 weeks that lead into NYC. In my last 10 years of competitively running, I've never run this much before. The quantity is clearly there. Some solid quality. And I don't feel over as extended as I have in the past. Of course I'm tired, but days off will clear that up. Otherwise feel strong and healthy and almost ready to take Manhattan in proper fashion.


I can't help but keep thinking... Jesus, I ran a 3:02 Marathon for the fun of it, without any bit of rest going into it, and I wasn't even phased... I could've easily gone much faster, but there was no need.

My 25th (Unofficial) Marathon. Nothing to see here. Keep moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment