10.10.2009

12 hours until...

The Chicago Marathon

This is my 10th go at the marathon... Chicago # 5.

You'd think I'd know what I'm getting myself into and would be able to relax a little. But all I have to say is that I'm still nervous as hell. Butterflies like mad in my stomach until the gun goes off at 7:30AM.

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt a ridiculous effort. I'm afraid to even talk about it because I'm concerned that I'll jinx myself. When all is said and done, this should be a large PR.

Before that happens though, I have to continue to deal with going stir crazy.

----------------------------

The other day, I ran a 4:58 mile on the track. Not especially something to cheer about, but it was my mile PR and I'm happy to have cracked the 5 minute mark. Far from what I should be able to run. It was 6 seconds faster than the OMM a few months ago though (we'll ignore the fact that was done after a long run). It was also about 4 seconds faster than my fastest mile last year.

Point being: in the last 20 weeks, I've run a shit ton of miles - more than I ever have. I feel like my training has been solid and smart. I've improved my stride a ton, and for the most part, I am injury free.

As for the race itself: The weather is looking to be colder (high 30's) with some light wind (but probably the typical steady Chicago wind)... but nothing game breaking. I'll have some pacing help from Mr Woods, Mr Creamers, and hopefully Mr Giorty. As long as I can keep things calm, cool, and under control... I should be set up for an incredible run.

No comments:

Post a Comment