10.26.2009

When the sun's shining,

make hay!

I'm still in great shape. Why should I just hang 'em up and walk away for the season, if I'm still feeling good? So what if I just ran a marathon? I don't have anything holding me back. I'm not sore anymore. All of my runs since the marathon have slowly felt better. I've had a good recovery thus far.

Hence, the CARA Circuit still has a few more races. I might as well try to pull a few off.


Oak Park - Frank Lloyd Wright 10K

My quick 2 second email reply to Dan McDowell was:

"It actually went well... Except fucking Mike Egle and a bandit drafted off of me for like 6 miles and then crushed me in the last quarter. Egle must have clipped my heels like 10 times too - seriously! I even called him out on it, and he continued to do it. Anyway, it was actually a really cool race experience, right down to the last wire."

That pretty much sums it up.

It really was a cool race though. For once, I knew it was going to be a true race at the very end. Nothing mattered until the kick. Pulling a quote from Once a Runner: "It doesn't matter how fast you can run, it matters how fast you can run when you're tired."

Unfortunately, the other two racers were significantly less hung over than I was, and they were the real deal (Kyle and Ricky's Halloween party was the night before). The two scum suckers rode me until they were finished using me, and then kicked at the perfect moment when they knew they could beat me. I tried throwing in a few surges earlier on, but they steadily matched everything. It went to the wire. When they threw moves on me, I had nothing. I ran for time. They ran to win. I did all the work, they stole the glory. Annoying, but a very good learning experience. Bastards.

The three of us each finished within 6 seconds of one another. I placed 6th overall... technically 5th because one of my guys was a bandit; top 3 were sub 33 and out of the picture. I won my age group; snatched a new 10K PR.

Splits were:
1 - 5:30
2 - 5:41
3 - 5:36
4 - 5:37
5 - 5:36
6 - 5:32
7 - 1:09 (5:22 pace)
= 34:43, 5:35 avg

No comments:

Post a Comment