3.22.2010

Eyes on the Prize

The season opener for Chicago racing was yesterday... the ol' Shamrock Shuffle.

My expectations weren't overly high for one of my favorite races this year, given that I've hardly done any speed work lately. My main goal was just to run something of a steady, fast tempo... and not kill myself.

Weather was chilly - mid 30's. No ridiculous caked slush to deal with, like last year. With the exception of a nasty NE headwind, which effected the second half of the run, conditions were good for the race.

I wound up going 28:05 (unofficial because of elite start)... Splits were 5:30, 5:36, 5:42, 5:38, 5:38. Mike was a huge help, as he got me going. We ran the first 3.5 miles together. The only complaint I have is that I lead a train of scum suckers into some brutal wind during the latter part of the race. It seemed like nobody wanted to man up, and then a handful of them passed me in the last quarter mile. Roosevelt was a pisser this time around. It felt like I was crawling up that thing with the wind. Oh well.


Aside from the Shamrock though, I had a great 20 miler on the lakefront on Friday night. I ran about 17 of it at around 6:40ish pace. 6:30s with the wind at my back... and mid-6:40s with the headwind.

Hitting that pace for a long run, and then going a steady Shamrock tempo 36 hours later makes me feel a lot better about my running lately.

As of now, no shin splints. No massive knots in my calves. No pains in my foot. A little soreness from the Shamrock... otherwise, all systems go.

Eyes on the prize.

5 weeks 'til touchdown in Londontown.

No comments:

Post a Comment