3.18.2010

Feel more like a turtle than a rabbit

I feel like I've been in a rut for the last couple of weeks. I'm finally starting to get some miles... In the 60's, but I've been plain old lethargic when it comes to adding speed.

Easy and maintenance miles are no problem. Long runs feel good the whole way. Even progression runs have gone well. Track speed sucks.

A couple of tempo runs in the last few weeks have gone alright, considering they're my first attempts. Last week I had 5 miles that started at about a 6min pace, and got down to 5:49... OK, but easily 10 seconds slower per mile than they should be.

I've also done two speed workouts in the last two weeks. Both were 6x 800's. Both were disappointing. I was hitting 79-83 second laps. Very inconsistent... with the expectation that I was consistently running the second lap slower than the first. Not good. Last night was especially lame. I was hoping to see week-over-week improvement but got nothing. I even pulled the plug and cut it short (6 instead of 8 reps). A morale loser.

I know I can't expect myself to all of a sudden start running at the pace I was back in the fall... but I'm discouraged by the fact that I've had to ramp up a little more slowly than I anticipated.

Shamrock Shuffle is on Sunday. Typically this is one of my favorite races.
Last year, I had an excellent run in horrible conditions. I'm expecting a pretty lame showing this year. I'm not training hard enough to even consider tapering into it (not that there's even much to taper). I'll run through. 20 tomorrow night just to spite the fucker. Then treat the race as a tempo workout.

This week's miles are little light, as I took a long weekend to ski in Colorado. Next week will be a jump up in miles. I'll hold that for 3-4 weeks, then take it easy for a week into London.

No comments:

Post a Comment