1.26.2011

65 + DBO XC

I've come to the 65 mile line.

65 in the last 7 days. Nothing spectacular, based on what I need to roll up for Rotterdam. And really, I've only been churning 50 miles in the last several weeks... but it's a right step in my "build back up" direction. My goal has been to simply base in the 50's throughout January, and then step it up in February. I'm getting there.

Last week, I had 3 separate training runs at moderate to faster paces. Each felt decent and I'm starting to reintroduce some shorter tempo work into my regime. I'm a little sore at the moment, but undoubtedly from a couple of snowy runs in the last few days.


First race of the year: I ran my first ever cross-country race this past weekend. The
Daniel Burnham Open XC. The race was great, except for the fact that I clearly have no idea how to run XC. Who woulda thunk that I couldn't even maintain my marathon pace over a 2.5 mile run!

The 4k course looped around and over Cricket Hill, here in Chicago. A pretty competitive field with about 35 runners. The kicker, every step was entirely covered in about 4-6 inches of snow.

Needless to say, going out at marathon pace was still too much for those conditions!! I stupidly lead the field through the 1/2, only to get passed by the experienced XC'ers and then barely hung on for the last 2 miles. A sloppy 7th place finish. First mile was something like a 6:10, and that's after I slowed up from the 1/2 mile mark. 16:06 overall... you do the math. Fugly on my part, but still a fun experience nonetheless. I'd love to give it another try sometime... preferably with less snow next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment