5.20.2011

A really fun run!

I have only one way to describe my run today:

FUN!

That's seriously for a lack of better terms too. All I could think when I finished was... "Wow, that was really fun!"

I'm alone in the office today. I decided to duck out for an 8 mile run on the lakefront. The weather was probably the best it's been in weeks... 60 degrees, minimal wind. I ran in my newly acquired New Balance Minimus MT10's. I've run a handful of times in them, though I haven't really pushed them until today.

Obviously the name suggests that they're a minimalist shoe. Technically they're dubbed as a trail shoe, though they're far different than any trail shoe I've ever seen or felt... very light weight, very flexible, very thin sole, a slightly heel-to-toe drop (hardly noticeable), and extremely comfortable. Truly a minimalist shoe. I had no trouble wanting to run on pavement with these. A close second to the Vibram Five Fingers.

Anyway... my "8 miles easy" turned into a 10 mile progression run, where I started to push about a 6:00 pace towards the end. I didn't mean to run that fast, it just happened. It sounds kinda stupid too, but I'm pretty sure I had a smile on my face the entire way.

I felt great. My feet loved every moment of it. No pain in my shins or calves, or anywhere else. Just like effortlessly floating along for an hour.

That's the joy of running in a minimalist shoe... the stride becomes so much more natural that it no longer feels like work. Total entertainment and enjoyment.

A runners high taken to a whole new level!

No comments:

Post a Comment