11.05.2011

1 down, 2 to go.

My marathon training is centered around 3 big weeks. Everything aside from these weeks is just work to get me ready to run those weeks, or a recovery from those weeks. Those 3 peak weeks will either make or break my marathon. Week 1 was this past week. I put in a solid 93 miles chalk full of quality and speed. So far so good. I have 2 more peak weeks to go.

On the heels of my 5K last Saturday... The week that was:

Sunday: 13mi w/ about 9 of it progressing from higher 6:30's down to 6:10ish pace. Admittedly, I had a little help with the wind at my back as I picked it up, but it was still an aggressive effort sandwiched between a 5K and a tempo run.

Monday: 8mi Tempo. 13 miles total. Slight wind at the back early followed by head wind late. The last couple miles show the effect of that wind, which were marginally slower but at a higher effort.

Splits recap:
1- 5:55.0
2- 5:54.2
3- 5:50.4
4- 5:46.2
5- 5:45.66- 5:47.4
7- 5:49.5
8- 5:49.2
Avg 5:49.7

Tuesday: 16mi slow. I was spent right from the get go. I complained the entire way. Legs were totally flat from the prior days' runs. The last handful of miles were a death march.

Wednesday: BIG BOY 400's. 16x 400 w/ 75sec recovery. I averaged 71.6. Wicked! Faster than when I've run them in the past, but I did take a slightly longer rest. The first few were a tad slower, then it was like clockwork with 12 straight at 71. Final two were the fastest, at 70.8 and 69.4sec. I walked away from this workout feeling a lot better about my current condition. A big thanks to Jason, Verdo and Dan for carrying me through the workout!

Thursday: 8 easy.

Friday: 12 with my Vibram Five Fingers. Love those shoes! LOVE THEM. Always have. I don't care if they broke my foot 2 years ago - that wasn't their fault, it was mine. There's truly nothing like running barefoot or in VFFs... It doesn't matter how fast I go, it's just sheer entertainment and makes me feel like a kid again. I was full of energy and it was difficult to keep the reigns in.

...And to make the run even MORE entertaining, I had the pleasure of being accompanied by the infamous "Hi Guy"!! I was gradually passing him on his bike on the lakefront, and couldn't help but say my typical "Hello, Hi Guy!" His prompt reply was, "Hello, Runner!" He then latched on and rode next to me for about 3 miles. Hilarious! We talked about all tons of random shit. I ran 90% of that run with a grin going from ear to ear.

Saturday: 23 miles in Barrington, with about 7 or 8 miles at a solid 6:45 or faster... 3 of which were sub 6:20. First time I've had a decent hill run in a long time. All in all, I was very comfortable and felt strong the whole way. I'll try to repeat this again next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment