9.19.2012

From Chicago to Grand Rapids to Philadelphia

I'm to the point where I can steadily run again, post ribs wreckage.

However, runs are still a struggle based upon 1) a loss of fitness from taking 2 weeks off, and 2) I'm operating on limited oxygen intake.

I can get over the former fairly quickly... The rule of thumb appears to be working here. 2 weeks off, and 3-4 weeks to get back to even keel.

The latter is a problem as I'm still struggling when I up my pace. I've basically been running with a governor on my body. Any speed tires me out, since I still can't take comfortable deep breaths. It's like hitting a wall every time I try to go faster. Very annoying and it is holding me back for the time being.

This may or may not be a blessing in disguise. I'm trying to look at the positive here: I'm being forced to breathe with my diaphragm and belly more, instead of my ribs. In theory, that's actually far better for an endurance athlete because as you can consume more oxygen with each breath. Much easier said than done though. Getting used to it hasn't been easy (and obviously tiring).

OK, that said... I'll be approaching 65-70 miles this week and if everything works out well, then I'll build up from there. I'm having to chalk up the Chicago and Grand Rapids Marathons. There's no way I have the races I want at either of those.  My new goal: I officially signed up for the Philadelphia Marathon this morning.

Philly is on November 18th, the weekend before Thanksgiving.   9 weeks away, which is plenty of time.  My only concern about the race is that it's chalk full of little hills and a couple large ones between 7 and 10 miles. Looking at the charts, it might actually be just as complicated as Boston or New York.

It's gonna require some lung busting workouts and hill training.  Under normal circumstances, there would more than enough time.  Hopefully I can learn how to breathe between now and then.

1 comment:

  1. Robert -- I ran the Philadelphia marathon last year and thought it was a fantastic event. The course is beautiful (particularly along the river in the second half) and the crowd support is quite good in the "city" sections. One tip -- book a hotel room EARLY. We ended up at the Embassy Suites, which was a .5 mile walk to the race start/finish. However, things booked up very quickly and we were lucky to get something in the area.

    ReplyDelete