3.12.2013

Trying to Salvage

To begin with, I'm still not back to 100% yet. After "clearing up" my ailments a few weeks ago, I dealt with another sore throat last week and today I'm coughing up a storm with a bit of a nasty head ache. Add to it, digestive track issues that just won't chill out. This "cold" of mine has been going on for about 6 weeks now. WTF!?!

That being said, I'm trying all I can to salvage my training for Boston. I've cut too many weeks short of miles, and now I'm forcing it where I can. I hit 78 last week... a far cry from what should've been my third week in a row of around 90 miles.

On the bright side though, 78 was an improvement from the prior weeks and didn't feel all that awful. I had a reasonable (though not easy) 8 mile tempo run last Monday at about 5:55's. Wednesday night had 8x800 @ 2:37's, followed by 2x 400 @ 1:12's. And I've had 2 long Saturday's in a row with some very strong progressions.

I bombed last night's tempo as a result of digestive issues. As a penalty, I re-ran the tempo today. I did 9 with 7 averaging 5:47. That's the fastest I've gone since pre-Philly. If the rest adds up, then I'll have 90 miles on the week and 100 over the 7 days between last Saturday and this Friday night's long runs. Cary is this coming Sunday.

All of this is night and day compared to a few weeks ago, when I couldn't run 4 miles without bonking. It may not be perfect, but I do have a silver lining: a monster base from the end of last year and that's giving me some cushion. It's possible that I can still run a respectable Shamrock and Boston next month. I have one month and 3 days until I toe the next marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment