10.09.2013

One final spin of the wheels

Yesterday, I was feeling spent and flat. Today... today is a new day.

I did a variation of Bill Leach's pre-marathon workout tonight as my final bit of speed:

1x 400 @ "mile pace" (ran 75.8)
1x 1600 @ "all out" (ran 5:00.3... 78,77,74,71)
1x 800 @ "mile pace" (chill at 2:32.5)
1x 800 @ "near all out" (rolled 2:24.1, evenly split)
1x 400 @ "all out" (rolled 66.1 and felt very comfortable)

I'm actually pretty pleased with this workout, considering how crappy I've felt in the last several days.

The mile started very slow. Braulio and Scott took the early lead, so I didn't have control. We also had a collision with a kid in lane 1 on the first lap (that probably cost a second). It finished a little slower than I wanted but I'm actually ok with it, as we ran a huge negative split. Someday I'll get the chance to blow one of these out.

In a weird way, I don't know that I've run a 800 that fast before...? I did a 65 second 400 back in the spring, with a similar workout. Anyway, I felt really smooth and never out of control anywhere in this workout. A full effort, but left me craving more. That's how it should've been run!

I'm completely off tomorrow and Friday. I'll also get a massage tomorrow. Shakeout on Saturday. There might be hope for me after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment