3.24.2014

Back to work

I've been running garbage miles for the last handful of weeks, and seen Dr Hancock for about 3 weeks now. He's done graston, ART, and recommended a series of self-PT exercises.

All of this added up, and I'm gradually feeling less like complete crap. I'm not 100% yet, but there has definitely been improvement. If I actually take Motrin, I do feel 100%. Obviously, I don't want to survive that way.

I had a really great test this past weekend, where I skied for three days at Mont Tremblant. After only a few runs, I realized I didn't hold back on the skiing. Lots of moguls, trough runs, and a ton of core work. The key is that I survived; I'm feeling probably even a little better than before the weekend.

OK, so now what? The Boston Marathon is in about a month from now. I am over weight (~150ish lbs). I still feel out of shape. But for some reason, I still don't want to say no. The question has entered my mind with a bunch of "IF/THEN" scenarios.
  • IF I can bump my running up towards 40 miles this week and not feel like total crap,
  • THEN I will try to bump my miles up towards 50 miles next week.
  • IF I can survive the bump to 50 next week,
  • THEN I will try to run into the 50s the following week.
  • IF I survive running into the 50's after those two weeks,
  • THEN I will try to run into the 50's a third.
  • IF all of this happens and I keep a relatively strict diet for the month,
  • THEN I'm sure I'll shave at least 5 lbs of excess garbage weight.
  • IF I can feel good after that... or no worse than I feel at the moment,
  • THEN I will jog the Boston Marathon and have a blast doing at least part of it.
  • ELSEIF any of this doesn't come together,
  • THEN I just continue with maintenance miles and completely forget the above plan.
It wouldn't be fast and it might hurt a little, but it could be possible for me to run Boston. And I actually think I might be able to run a 3:10. The likely hood of this happening though is still slim and I fully accept that. Regardless, it's time to get back into control of my life. The holiday's are over.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your plan for the upcoming weeks leading to the Boston Marathon! Hope you do participate in it!

    ReplyDelete