7.11.2014

2014 Bastille Day 5K

Bastille Day 5K has become one of my mandatory races.

By no means is it my favorite race, because they've bastardized it over the years... but it has fittingly become my default birthday race.

Back in the good 'ol days, they held this thing in the West Loop and it was a ton of fun! It snaked its way through the canyons of the city streets, and was followed by an entertaining block party. A great way to celebrate liberty and the coming of age!

Nowadays though, it's confined to the clusterfuck known as Lincoln Park and the lakefront path. The course is a mess. Not only are we competing for placement, but also for space with all the pedestrians, joggers, baby strollers, cyclists, cyclists on cell phones, dogs, recumbent idiots, and whatever other stupid gimmick that can possibly interfere on the lakefront.

Additionally, it's a clusterfuck because they now run it as a 5K/8K. The 5K starts 15 minutes after the 8K. So naturally, those of us up in the front of the 5K slam into the rear of the 8K, making for yet another obstacle.

NOTE TO RACE ORGANIZERS: I realize you're trying to make money... but for the sake of the sport and respect of racing... don't slam a 5K into the back of an 8K! Why not cut the cost and keep it simple with just one race instead of two?? While we're at it, I'd by far rather pay that premium for running a 5K on the city streets as opposed to a multi-race-shit-show out on the crowded lakefront path. Also, please get volunteer bikers/sweepers to clear the course! Ohh... and where's my damn award??! Two years in a row, they stiffed me on my award. Second place, and this is the treatment I get!

---------------------

Anyhoo... Here's the quick and dirty as to how it went down:

From the starting line, two guys joined me and we quickly put a gap on the field. There didn't appear to be any big wheels in the corral, so we each went out with one another, waiting for someone else to break. All I could tell is that they looked really young... but not totally dumb, because nobody was breaking.

1st mile split 5:18. One kid squawked. It was a little fast for each of us. Nobody was comfortable keeping that pace. I'm not in 5K shape, so I played it cool and pulled off the gas. I figured I'd let them devour each other. They maintained briefly and put a small gap on me, then I just tailed from behind.

These two kids turned out to be 21 and 17 years old. Jesus! As I approach my 37th mark, I can only relish at those long gone ages.

Ironically, the 21 year old broke first. I easily over took him at mile 2, which was a 5:28. I wasn't gaining on the 17 year old though. At that point, the path had become incredibly crowded. It was difficult to negotiate my way around the other traffic. I nearly got clipped by a few bikes on multiple occasions. I had to zig-zag around other obstacles. It wasn't terribly hot, but I was also starting to feel those mid-July temps. I wasn't able to pick it up, but I was at least able to hold off getting passed back.

Once we got inside of the last half mile, the 17 year old increased his gap on me. He wound up with nearly 15 seconds on me. There wasn't anything I could do. What can I say, I'm only in my second week of training! Give me another few weeks and the old man would've put a fight. Ugh, I was reminded this morning that I'm more than twice his age!! (I'm actually crying inside).

Anyway, I finished 2nd overall in 16:49. I'm somewhat happy with that. I wanted sub-17 and I got it. I believe that was my Birthday 5K PR too! Chalk it up as a solid 3 mile tempo run and a nice way to say good bye to 36.

Rough splits:
1- 5:18
2- 5:28
3- 5:29
.1- 0:33
Total- 16:49, 2nd o'all

No comments:

Post a Comment