6.11.2018

The Wait

It's Monday. I leave on Thursday with my drive to Duluth. The waiting game has begun.

My mileage has pulled back significantly now and I'm starting to twiddle my thumbs. I've checked the weather a million times (which is pointless, because it keeps changing!). I've watched a few videos of marathon course. I've studied the maps. I've plotted my driving route. I've made pointless purchases online. It's all the waiting game.

Since the end of last week, here are my runs:

Thursday: 14 miles easy. I pulled this forward because I signed up for a 5K trial on Saturday.

Friday: REST and a massage. The massage definitely helped.

Saturday: I intended on racing a 5K at Montrose Harbor. Unfortunately, weather shifted quite a bit... it wound up pouring, thundering, and lightening for the hour surrounding the start of that race. They called it off. Bummer because I sunk the money just a couple days prior and I was really looking for this to give me a true indication of my current speed. I haven't raced in ages!! I ran home form Montrose and had nearly 3 miles at MGP. That helped me burn some energy.

Sunday: 10 with 3 miles at 5:59, 5:55, 5:39. The 5:39 was because in the last quarter mile I essentially ran it as a long stride. That run started easy but was a little more work than I had hoped. The pain was self inflicted... I had a mild hangover.

...On that note, I've really been trying to significantly cut alcohol clean up my diet in the last few months. Partly as sympathy for Sasha being pregnant, and low and behold I've noticed a side effect of not drinking as often... I've been recovering and sleeping much better! Who woulda thunk?!? I'm still allowing myself one or two nights a week to "chill out" and have some wine or beer... However, I paid a small price for Saturday's bottle of wine. Fortunately, I still have plenty of time to cleanse myself before heading to Duluth.

I've also been trying to monitor what I've been eating lately. Some higher protein. Much less fat. Trying to cut the sugar. Lots of grains, I guess. I'm not a freak about it... but I have been "counting my calories a bit". It all shows too. My weight before this marathon is probably the lowest I've had in a long time. And I feel much more lean. A true 138-139. I hit 135 a week ago after a run. I can't remember the last time I saw that...? I still feel strong though. My skin looks like it's painted on my muscles. No doubt, this is a result of my diet and boozing less while training in the last month...


Anyway, today was another rest day and another massage. The Serbian really broke some junk up this time. My back and legs are now a little sore, but feeling much more loosey-goosey. I'm planning on using the hot tub tonight with lots of epsom salts.

Tomorrow and Wednesday will each be easy 7-8 miles, with some strides. Then that's it. I'm leaving on Thursday and driving half way to Duluth. Wake up Friday morning in Northern Wisconsin, run a shake out, then drive the rest of the way.

The downside of not getting that 5K - I'm once again going to be toeing the line without any clear indication of my current fitness. The only thing I have at this point is my Makin' the Eights from last week. I can trust that a little bit. Otherwise, it'll another trial of miles after miles of trials. Ugh.


Soaking up the rest and recovery, and now waiting. Everything between now and 7:45AM on Saturday is just spanning time. Spanning time and just waiting to unleash whatever might be inside me.

No comments:

Post a Comment