4.14.2009

6 days from Patriots Day

I'm just adding it up now… and really, in spite of my hip difficulties in the past couple weeks, I'm only missing about 22 miles from my schedule. Most of which was from the Friday / Saturday that I initially had my mini blow-up... or basically, only 2 maybe 3 runs were skipped from my schedule. Bottom line there: I’m trying to reassure myself that it's really not that bad of a situation. I have 6 more days before the marathon.

Reason I say that is because I'm annoyed that I'm not getting more quality in my taper right now, but I'm at least able to run. Slower stuff hasn't been bothering me at all. Otherwise, I’m pretty much a nervous wreck and I’m reaching for whatever I can to keep a sane mine. My ultimate fear is that I’m going to be 2 miles, 10 mile, 15 or 24 miles deep in Boston… and all of a sudden not be able to bare another step.

Last night (Monday), I went about 9 miles w/ Kmac, including some strides. The pace was a comfortable 710's, going down to about 640's. I felt good the whole way.

Saturday was my last moderately long run before the marathon. 14 miles. It actually went pretty well… a similar pace to last night’s. Saturday's run was a pleasant surprise and somewhat reassuring considering Friday's workout turned into another mess.

So much for "Good Friday": I was starting to feel better through the week, so I took a shot at one last tempo. The goal was for 5 miles of tempo inside of an 8 mi run.
The Tempo started off into some nasty wind (guessing 20mph steady). First mile was about 6:10. Second mile and a half got down to about 5:50. So far so good. I felt strong and comfortable. After the turn, with the wind at the back, Jason and I rolled. We hit a 5:30 mile. Then out of nowhere in the next 1/2 mile, my hip started to tighten up again. I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. Some very sage advice from the kid: "If it's hurting, we should stop right now."
It was smart. I wasn't gaining anything from going further. My endurance and turnover were still there, but I was hitting a breaking point again. There was no sense in blowing it up this time around.

I was able to walk for about a mile, and try to relax some of the muscles and attachments around the actual hip socket, and then lightly jog the bit home. Not a total loss, but definitely not a confidence booster.

As far as the physical therapy… I'm still not totally sold on my ASTYM treatment. I think it seems to be breaking up some of the scar tissue, but it's not loosening things up the way I'd like to see it. I had my 3rd treatment yesterday, another today, and once more before the marathon. I’ve also been doing a fair amount of exercise to strengthen and stabilize my gluts.

I also think I'm in desperate need of a massage. Anyone know of a good therapist?

The clock is ticking. 6 days to go. Mentally, I feel like a nervous wreck. It’ll be a miracle if I can get through this thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment