4.01.2009

Just when you think Old Man Winter's done...

You go out for a run, and he kicks you in nuts!

I got home from work yesterday and had to deal with another nightmare: I needed to run my final 20 miler, and essentially cap off my Boston training.

It was absolutely pouring outside, 20mph steady winds coming from the south, and about 45 degrees (though it felt much colder in the rain).

As you could imagine, I was dreading stepping outside for this. 20, UGH! I nearly bailed a few times. I knew I would better off if I just got outside the door, but I kept dragging my feet. I hate that feeling. I knew it would be rewarding once I finished the run, or even just got a mile into the run... but those first steps are sometimes the most difficult steps a runner ever takes.

By some miracle, the rain let up just a little bit when I was about to leave. I went out south 10 miles in to the wind, and came back north with it. I averaged 7's on the way out... +/- 5 to 10 seconds for a few. After 5 miles in, the sun actually started shining. In spite of the wind, it was somewhat pleasant.

I turned at 10, and it was game on. I don't think I changed my pace very much, but I certainly rolled it with a little help from the wind. 6:40... then 6:32... a few of 6:30's... then a few 6:25's.

....then all of a sudden as I was passing by McCormick Place and going towards downtown, I saw one of the wildest skies... Like straight out of a movie, a massive black cloud quickly swallows the tops of all the skyscrapers. To its east, total sunshine and a blue sky. To its west is a blood red sky. Very ominous, to say the least!

Unfortunately the black cloud, which was now above me, was literally full of shit! The winds picked up, and were coming at me from every direction. With in a minute, it started to literally dump buckets of water on me. A few minutes later, ping ping ping ping!! I'm getting nailed by sleet and then HAIL! Hail sucks. It stings!! I don't like it. Then it starts to thunder and lightening.... All of this goes on for a few more minutes, and then things die down as the black cloud rolls out onto the lake. Absolutely crazy.

Looking back at it, I can't believe I didn't run for shelter. All I did was run harder though. I wanted to finish the fucker. I wanted my taper. As I was going along side Lake Shore Drive, I even got slammed a couple times by cars hitting puddles. "Fuck you, I'm not quitting!!!"

I rolled on. 6:20, 6:15, 6:15, 6:10... then cooled down the last mile and a half.

My last 20 miler, about 2hr 16min... 6:48 average. Solid considering I had the Shamrock a couple days earlier. I couldn't be happier to have it done. My reward is that I get to start my taper (I'll still be 70+ this week though, since I'm already 40 deep).

It sucks that I can't get out of the terrible weather! Its really dragging on and depressing. Old Man Winter won't quit. I just want a nice calm, 60 degree day... maybe even a couple of them. Is that asking for so much??

.....What doesn't kill me makes me stronger.....

No comments:

Post a Comment