4.09.2009

The waiting game

My running obsession has slowly taking over the rest of my life. Especially when its around a race and a marathon.

I'm completely unproductive at work right now. All I can do is think about running. I'm search for stuff online, calculating spreadsheets, thinking about my training and what went right or wrong... I'm obsessing splits and paces, previous race results, other people's results, trying to predict where I might place in this year's standings, workouts, what I should be doing between now and the gun, the Boston Marathon course itself and every bump and pimple on it,.... I'm shopping for gear online, checking the weather multiple times a day, the historical averages for the weather.... thinking about what I'm going to pack 11 days from now.... I mean this is really getting out of hand!

Here I sit at the helm of a speeding freight train at work... ridiculous volatility in the market, my portfolio P&L is fluctuating $50,000 +/- during the day, and instead of trading up a storm, ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT IT RUNNING!!

Disgusting.

Here's a video of a car driving the Boston Marathon course. I've played it 5 times already, and I know that's just the start of it...




I have another Astym treatment tonight with Julie. I actually had to get a prescription for this. I'm basically willing to do whatever I need to get this thing feeling better.
Things seem to really have loosened up in the past couple days. I was able to do a solid 10 mile run last night, with a progression towards marathon pace for about 2 miles before cooling down. I'm very hopeful that last week's mishap was a fluke, and I've managed this mini-crisis accordingly (and will continue to do so).

Today is off from running. I roll again tomorrow with one final push through early next week... Then becomes an increasingly annoying and anxious waiting game for the starting gun, and then actually crossing the finish line. I'm going to become absolutely infatuated with every minute detail of April 20th, 2009... and everything that could/should/would/and will happen between now and then.....

No comments:

Post a Comment