9.26.2010

1 down, 3 to go

Target hit for the last week: 94 miles. After today's run, I'm at 98 miles in the last 7 days. 1st week through my 4 week peak. I had 3 hard quality runs amidst quantity...

  • Monday nite tempo - 7 miles on a windy night @ 5:44 pace. Progressed from 5:50ish down to 5:40ish. Happy with the results, but it certainly wasn't easy. Pace was similar to my half marathon - only the half marathon was significantly more comfortable.... I guess chalk that up as a lack of recovery from my 22 mile run 2 days prior.

  • Wednesday nite at St IggyPiggyopolis - 8x 3x 200 Cut-Downs, hammered at 34.5/33/32 splits (45 sec recovery after the 1st 2 reps, then slow 200 after the 3rd rep)... Awesome track workout. The cut-down stragergy focuses on turn-over and really gets the wheels going faster and faster. Ideally, I'd like to get another one of these in before NYC.

  • Back to Barrington - 22 miles on Saturday in Barrington. 2:19:30 total time, or 6:20 average pace, which included 1 mile warm up and 2 mile "ease" down... In other words, a near goal paced run with >1000 ft climb and >2000 ft net change.

    I ran it solo. Basically out and retraced back (which is more difficult than running the Barrington Loops as it adds more intense hills later). Sarah assisted me on the bike, and that was an huge help!

    I set out thinking I'd hold something more aggressive than my typical long run. After getting settled in with the first mile, everything just started falling into place. By the time I was able to catch some accurate splits, I was hitting 6:15's. Way more aggressive than I wanted, but it felt smooth so I just went with the flow. Most of the splits I took fluctuated between 6:05-6:20.

    This was a huge run and confidence booster as: 1) I never had any rest/stopping since Sarah was able to help with Gatorade and Gu... 2) It was effectively an ultra-long "tempo" run... 3) The pace + hills provided a great NYC simulation... 4) I felt comfortable and strong the entire run.


  • After the past week, I'm feeling decent. Tired, and calves are sore (especially left).... otherwise no major complaints. I definitely feel like I need a day off, but can manage. At this point, I'll try to push 100 this week, step down slightly next week, and then pop the last week back up.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment