10.19.2010

Taper, bitchez!

A few weeks back, I claimed that I was going to attempt to hit 375-385 miles over a 28 days streak. Well it didn't happen. I pushed the red line too much. Fortunately, I didn't break.

I did come close though, as I strung together 359 miles over a 28 day period of time. 378 miles over 29 days. Basically 13 miles a day. I was forced to take 2 days off in there, which I hadn't anticipated and I wound up about 15-20 miles shy of my goal. In the end, this wasn't easy. The last several runs were totally forced.

By the simple measure of missing 2 days of running, and 15-20 miles - I failed in my training goal. But that's ridiculous to think that way. In the process, I've put in some of the best training I've ever attempting. I've had a 5 monstrous weeks that included:

  • A solid PR in the half marathon.
  • 5 long runs ranging from 20-24 miles (1 of which had about 20 miles @ 6:15 avg pace).
  • 5 mid-week long runs of 16-17 miles.
  • 4 tempo runs at 7 miles or more (1x7, 2x9, 1x10).
  • 3 ballz out track workouts.
  • Running through a 5K PR, the morning after a 22.
  • 2 separate 100+ mile stretches over 3 weeks.
  • PR of 103 miles within 7 days.

  • After last night's 10 miles at 5:55 average, I'd say that pretty much puts the icing on the cake. The core of my training is done, and my reward is a couple of much needed days off.

    Now I recover and replace quantity with quality. 2-1/2 weeks until NYC.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment