10.26.2010

Growing impatient

My taper is becoming a lame duck session. A week in, and I'm starting to question my training.

Simply put, I'm feeling banged up. My calves are trashed, especially my left. Not so much the shins, but general lingering soreness and knots that feel like they've been ingrained in my legs for months now. I fear that I may have torn something and it could get worse before it gets better.

Last week I planned on taking 2-3 days off. I wound up taking 4 days off and running a measly 33 miles. I missed my first long run of the training season.

Sarah has given me 3 massages in the past week. Seriously, who gets 3 massages in a week?? As much as they seem to help, and as much as she knocks shit out of them... the next day I feel like I'm right back at square 1. I keep waiting for that magical morning where I wake up and nothing hurts.

At least I can say I haven't killed my quality (yet)...

Last Wednesday, we did a huge 12x 800 workout. I averaged 2:34/2:35 throughout the workout. Unlike the previous set of 800's though, I didn't seem to have the strength to pick it up towards the end. Maintaining was hard enough.

Last night, in a windy tempo workout, I struggled to maintain marathon pace for 8 miles. I seriously felt like I was giving it all I could, only to run marathon pace. Sad.

I'm not quite sure where to go from here. Maybe I need to kill the quality? I'm feeling like garbage the morning after harder runs, when I should be slowly feeling better with each passing day. I can't stop running altogether, otherwise I risk "racing" the marathon.

This is very disappointing. I put in a lot of work, and had awesome training. It really didn't seem like I was over doing it. Now I'm paying for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment