11.01.2010

It's always darkest before dawn.

Three weeks ago, I felt as fit as could be. The best shape in my life. Unfortunately, I'm now questioning that I may have trained to get through the training, not to toe the line.

This taper has been a killer. My legs have felt trashed for far too long now. I've compensated by taking numerous days off, living in compression socks, on ice, and on Aleve.

So not only do I feel like I'm not running enough, but I'm also eating and drinking like garbage to boot. Not good!! Maybe this has been some sort of subconscious sabotage and depression as a result of over training? When I add it all up, it seems disgusting what I've done to myself in the last few weeks. I'm officially on a serious detox and diet for the next 7 days.

On the brighter side of things, with each passing day my legs do feel better. Two out of my last 3 runs have been reasonable. As of yesterday, my calf is no longer overly tight or swelled... It's actually starting to feel human again. Today I'm walking 100% pain free for the first time in a while. Could this be a ray of hope?

Tonight's run will be a key test. Can I go 4 measly miles at race pace without feeling totally gassed, or being trashed tomorrow AM? If so, then I think game on.

There is still the possibility that I didn't over train for this thing and leave my best miles on the lakefront or in Barrington. It's always darkest before dawn, and this morning I felt the sun starting to rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment