11.02.2010

Time to focus

OK, last night's pace run went well. I can breathe a sigh of relief.

9 miles total with 4 at a goal pace. Splits were 6:10, 6:06, 6:00, 5:52. First couple miles had wind at the back, last two had a very nasty head wind. Eased into it, and then pressed a little with wind to see how I'd handle it.

It didn't feel as "easy" as I had hoped, but given the wind I shouldn't be all that discouraged. More importantly, a little tightness in the calves, otherwise I didn't hurt too badly. It may have been one of the more comfortable runs that I've had in weeks.

A month ago, I wanted to tear my teeth into some pavement. A week ago, I wanted to curl up and die. After last night, some of that confidence is coming back.

Time to focus on the actual race, as opposed to nursing my aching body.

A main concern will be the wind. I'm sure it'll change significantly between now and Sunday... Right now though, Weather.com is calling for Sunny, 38 Lo / 50 Hi, 15mph W winds. Temp is ideal; wind is definitely not!

There's good and bad here. With the layout of the course, optimal wind would be from the SW for the first 20 miles, and then we do an about-face... so NE for the last 6 miles. A Westerly wind may not be all that horrible until the last 6 miles, which still wouldn't be a direct onslaught. Also, we can only hope that it's not a nagging, steady, Chicago-style wind.

Anyway, I can only worry so much about this. I'm either gonna have it after the Bronx or I'm not. Fifth Ave is a bitch no matter what. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to still have Ream and a few guys to work with.

In the mean time, here's a nice video of the course combined with the map:


No comments:

Post a Comment