12.31.2012

Quick 2012 Recap

I just finished my final run of the year. Total for 2012 was 2,535... a new PR.

I came into 2012 with some solid fitness, having just run 2:38:14 at CIM last December. On the heels of that, I was able to coast to a 26:47 Shamrock Shuffle 8K. (In hind sight, this wound up being my best race of the year).

A week after Shamrock, I flunked a 5K and then decided to take a much needed break until a mid-year roll up for marathon training. In August, I blew myself up while water skiing, and then set my sights on November's Philadelphia Marathon.

Philly consumed a ton of miles. Unfortunately, I never really had the chance to show off that fitness. I suppose there's something to be said for a 2:39:40 on zero sleep... but I didn't get to pull the trigger anywhere else in the fall.  That alone was disappointing.

As an aside, I now own 5 sub-2:40 marathons.

So there you have it... a shit-ton of training in 2012, all for literally only a couple of "A" races and little to show for it. A very lame year of competition, in spite of being much more seasoned.

The silver lining is ahead of me though... 2013 should be quite the opposite. I'm still hanging on to some of this past fall's fitness and will use that press though even bigger miles on the way to Boston. In the process, I'm already cued up for Cary and Shamrock, and I'll ideally hit a few other spring races after the marathon. From there I reassess, but ultimately will set targets on hopefully a very active season and yet another fall marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment