3.02.2009

Time to man up

This last week+ has been a cutback week. Really, the first break that I’ve taken in the last 2 months… well, it was kind of a cutback. I didn't necessarily use easier or shorter runs, but instead fewer runs and some cross training... I mean skipping Sunday and Monday because of skiing wasn't entirely the same as resting... I guess you can call it cross training… but it was more like hammering on bumps at 9000-12000 feet for 7 hours, 3 days in a row. I think I did experience some recovery from quitting the pavement for a few days though. I also skipped Thursday. That was simply because I haven't had a "chill out and do nothing" night in ages. It was much needed. I skipped yesterday, while in Columbus w/ the family. Tonight's tempo will likely show how much I've benefitted from this break...

Anyway, the two highlight runs for the week were Wednesday's track workout and Saturday's long run.

Track was 4x 1000+600 @ about 79-80's, w/ 200's off in between everything... That was my first outdoor track workout this round of training. It was also my first real chance to get a taste of my latest progress. I can't say that I felt overly fast or strong, but I was happy with how steady I was through out the workout. If the weather holds, I'd like to test some 800's on the track this next week.

Saturday's 21.5 mi was another good long run. My first big one all alone. Avg pace of 6:50's... with about 17 miles bouncing between 650 and 635, depending on the terrain. I put it up at a park near Jodi&Josh's in Columbus... 5 loops, mostly flat, with about every 3rd to 4th mile being hilly. I was actually shocked when I saw that each lap was faster than the previous... It certainly didn't feel that way, since by the I felt like I was crawling through the 6:35.

I feel like a piece of garbage today though. Antsy, but nervous to run hard tonight. I’m annoyed that I completely skipped my run (again) yesterday and haven't eaten the best the past few days either. I was basically just being lazy and wanting to relax w/ the family, plus I was a bit sore from Saturday's long run ... I should be able to still squeeze in a double during the week to make up the miles. This week should be my step up to the next level.... Looking for a few weeks of steady mid 70's, then the Shamrock, then 1 last week of higher miles before Boston's taper.

No comments:

Post a Comment