2.17.2010

Shin Splints

I've reached an impasse.

Yesterday I came to the conclusion that I need to get this shin splint issue resolved ASAP before I run another mile. If I don't, then I'm going to blow a lot more than the London Marathon.

My shin splints are technically Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome.
Essentially, I took a break from running. My lower leg experienced some atrophy as a result of das fucking boot and my stress fracture. As I started rolling my mileage back up, the muscles running along the inside and back of my shin bone have basically been nagging that bone from over use / being over stretched.

My pain is technically just behind the medial portion of the tibia. From my understanding, it is the flexor digitorum and the soleus muscles pulling on that medial tibia. Some how, one way or another - it is the changing of angle of my foot before and/or after impact that gradually has stressed the inside of my shin.

This has happened to me a number of times in the past after coming back from breaks... It usually takes 3 or 4 weeks for the pain to first appear. The good news is that since I've been through this enough times, I know how to rehab it quickly. I can be rolling again in a few days.

The solution:
- Rest + ice + anti-infamitories.
- Doing like 50 different exercises constantly throughout the day to get it to chill out and come back to reality... main ones are: Walking on my heels; Raising my feet while standing and keeping my heels on the ground; Lifting my arches with my flexor digitorum (basically pulling the arches up, using the muscle on the medial side of my shin); Rotating my foot round and round a kazillion times in both directions.
- Lots of Massage! Sarah's been massaging it pretty aggressively in the past week. This is key, as the knots need to get flushed out.
- Acupuncture. I have a session tonight. This will hopefully help flush out some of those knots. E-stim would probably be very helpful. Not sure if the acupuncturist will want to do that though.

The last few days off have not been for nothing. I am seeing improvement here. This impasse will soon be passed, and I should be running by the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment