4.15.2010

Better

For the first time in 6 months, I finally feel like I'm getting into shape. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm maybe 3-4 weeks shy from being in a much better condition (as opposed to peaking)... and instead I'm gonna force a marathon in about a week.

I've pulled together a few good workouts in the past :

* 4/9 - 22 miles on a Friday night after a long day at work.
The first 10 were easy @ 7:15s. The next 6 were progressing from 6:45 to 6:20. Then 5 miles @ 6:15 progressing to 6:00. Final mile was a cool down. This was one of those pinnacle long runs where I just had to force myself to run faster and faster, slowly pulling a trigger. I finished strong and didn't have any troubles whatsoever.

* 4/12 - 12 w/ 8 miles tempo.
There was a good headwind for the first few miles of the run, but that clearly came back to help me towards the end. Goal was to start out at marathon pace into the wind, progress towards 1/2 marathon pace, then go nuts at the end. It went perfectly.... 6:09, 6:00, 6:08, 5:50, 5:44, 5:44, 5:29, 5:23 = 5:48 avg. A massive negative split. I finished feeling gassed, but not toasted. I plowed right through any lactic acid. I could've easily thrown in another couple miles (of course, slower than 5:23).

* 4/14 - Yasso 10x 800s.
In my mind, this is a key workout.
I've said it before, I'll say it again - If I can't do these things at 2:40 reps, then I shouldn't even considering thinking about a low 2:40s marathon. I ran an average of 2:36. Unfortunately, the faster ones were earlier (going 2:33-35s). I did hang on through the end though (finishing 2:37-38s). 80 seconds rest. The last time I did this workout in the fall, I gave myself an extra 10 seconds rest. This tells me that I can have some confidence in running low 2:40s in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment