4.21.2010

Eyjafjallajokull

OK, so here's a fun wrench that I've been dealt in the last week:

The beautiful island of Iceland has decided to blow up - literally!
Iceland is known for its numerous volcano's and hot springs, many of which are buried or surround by glaciers. Well guess what - one decided to blow up.

"Eyjafjallajokull" (pronounced "try to fucking screw Robert's London Marathon plans")... has been erupting on and off for the last month. A week ago, part of the volcano, which is essentially covered with a glacier, started to get violent. Lava, magma, glacial ice, and ash have been getting blasted 30,000 feet into the atmosphere. Combine that with the current heavy jet stream, and the result is Norther Europe is getting heavily shit upon . Hence, flights all over the continent have been cancelled for the last week - particularly in London!!! About 75% of all flights in Europe altogether have been cancelled in the last week!!

Ummm, not the ideal concern I'd like to have in the days leading up to my marathon! The whole experience is still a pretty surreal for me, as I feel like I'm in a bit of "marathon denial mode" - but this isn't helping any of my pre-marathon nerves.

Travel plans could be hosed. Sarah and I are supposed to leave for London tomorrow afternoon. I have no clue what the odds of that actually happening are. We're basically on a day-to-day basis. WTF!?! Apparently, London just now is opening up for some air traffic however, most US bound flights are still cancelled. It remains to be seen whether UK bound flights from Chicago will be starting back up today. I'll know more in a few hours. Leaving tomorrow is a crapshoot.

Let's not even get into the conversation that the air quality in London is crap right now too! I've seen comments that suggest the streets are slowly getting covered in dust. Not good.

The icing on the cake: I didn't opt for the European Volcano Trip Insurance with our travel plans.... We'll easily be hosed on maybe $2,000 worth of reservations that won't be refundable.

Eyjafjallajokull-whatever-yer-name-is can continue to erupt for the next 12 months or as long as it wants to, and spew massive ash plumes into the atmosphere every other day. ...Just a friendly reminder that mother nature rules above all else. Gotta keep an even keel.

No comments:

Post a Comment