9.05.2014

2014 ADK Recap

It never fails and apparently I need to take a hint - I simply cannot train in Chicago and then go up to the cabin for two weeks and run 200 miles on hills, and expect to not get injured.

I didn't necessarily get "injured" but I did hit a mild breaking point that forced me to take some key days off.

So the good: I had a week and a half of big miles and quality. All hills. I ran them in a complicated fashion so that I could build build build. I had a great amount of aggressive miles, and I was getting cocky. I hit a point where I had five days in a row with my 7-day-trailing mileage at 100. I've never done that at the cabin before. It's no joke to hit a hundred up there. I then had visions of clipping 200 miles in the two weeks.

The bad: In spite of feeling fantastic, I was still forced to pull back. With a few days left, I had a garbage night of sleep, then went for a recovery run on Wednesday, which left my right knee feeling extremely sore after words. Thursday's Stillwater run buried me. I almost didn't finish, and walking after was extremely painful. I was forced to play it safe with Friday off, and then gingerly run 14 miles on Saturday instead of a big 22.

The pain has been posterior/medial on the right knee. It was a mix of my calf, adductor and hamstring. I don't recall doing anything specific to pull anything. I took a few more days off, loaded up on ibuprofen, iced, and had a solid massage once I got back to Chicago. Apparently it was more hamstring than anything else... it figures, because they've been super tight ever since Boston, in April.

Everything appears to be much better a few days later. The Chicago Half Marathon this coming weekend. This can still be a great race for me, albeit I'm a little more cautious and less concerned about making it an 'all-in' race. I've also mildly sabotaged it by running 20 miles last night. It went mostly alright, but a brutal finish due to the heat. Including today, that's three scorching days in a row and I'm now feeling extremely drained. The knee is holding up though, which is far more important.

After the half, I have 10 days to push and then another 10 days to recover.

Recap of my ADK trials of miles:

WEEK OF 8/24-30: 79mi
8/30 - 14 ADK/easy
8/29 - REST
8/28 - 14 ADK/Stillwater easy
8/27 - 12 ADK/#4 easy
8/26 - 17 ADK/Belfort progression
8/25 - 12 ADK/Croghan Tempo
8/24 - 10 ADK/#4 easy

WEEK OF 8/17-23: 90mi
8/23 - 22 ADK/Belfort up past falls, last 5 aggressive
8/22 - 13 ADK/Marks easy
8/21 - 14 ADK/Stillwater moderate
8/20 - 12 ADK/#4 easy
8/19 - 17 ADK/Belfort progression aggressive
8/18 - 12 ADK/Marks progression
8/17 - REST

No comments:

Post a Comment