9.18.2014

Big boy tempo + Big boy 400's = We'll find out tonight.

Alright, as of the other day, I topped out at 102 miles and my peak is in. My endurance is finally back, I'm actually feeling mechanically decent, and a big tempo on Tuesday and a massage yesterday are leaving me a little more comfortable than I was a week ago.

Now the all important question - How fast am I???

It's tough to answer at the moment. Aside from a set of 800s a month ago, I haven't had any real quality workouts over the last month. The miles at the cabin made me strong, but were mostly effort based... nothing blazing fast. The Chicago Half doesn't really answer the question either (though technically, it was my second fastest half marathon... I haven't "raced" a half in ages... but I don't think this was a fair race effort)...

I have had one good big boy tempo run, which was Tuesday night.

10 mile recap:
1- 5:56.2
2- 5:55.5
3- 5:50.1
4- 5:51.7
5- 5:51.1
6- 5:48.2
7- 5:52.7
8- 5:40.6
9- 5:40.0
10- 5:32.0
Tot: 57:58.1 / Avg: 05:47.8

I actually felt very much in control and smooth, so that kind of gives me some confidence, it doesn't feel like isn't enough.

My training is basically done. I have 10 days before the marathon. I won't have another chance to race again, so it all comes down to tonight's workout. Big boy 20x400's. At this point, I believe I'm doing the workout solo too, which makes it that much more difficult. Knowing how I've run 400's in the past, if I'm gonna have a chance at sub-2:38 then I need to average mid-72's/sub-73's.

The weather looks like it'll be favorable. All I need to do is stay calm and avoid the countless kids and soccer balls randomly gravitating towards me. Time to suck it up and spin those wheels! ...This marathon ain't gonna run itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment