9.19.2014

"What kinda battery you got in there?"

The brand spanking new Wilson track is beautiful. Unfortunately, it is completely useless when it comes to doing a track workout. There are far too many people crowded around it spectating and loitering the games on the infield. Maybe it's a fantastic facility between the hours of 10pm and 10am ...or later depending on the use of lights... or maybe even in the off season of soccer?  Otherwise forget it. This was my fourth time to this track, and each time I go it gets worse.

Be warned: If you need to do a serious workout and there is a crowd at Wilson, then chalk it up and choose another location.

When I got to the track (~6:00pm), there was a high school soccer game on the infield and another starting immediately after (in other words, probably 3 peak hours consumed by scheduled games)... Lots of people were constantly coming and going. Seriously, no fewer than 100 were scattered all over the track, infield and surrounding area. ...And let's not forget about the vendors/ice cream carts! There were THREE... all in lane 1!! It was my mistake to even stay there.

So, I chilled out with about 30 minutes of easy laps while waiting for the crowds to thin. After the second soccer game started, it became a little more manageable and I was able to start the workout (ie, the crowd was cut to about 50-60). Mind you though, I still had several people and children meandering aimlessly. Teens were kicking/throwing soccer balls at one another. The only thing missing were tricycles! 98% of everyone could've given a shit about track etiquette.

...The problem with this track is that it's not a track. It is a soccer field surrounded by other soccer fields...

During the workout, I had THREE collisions. Those weren't near collisions. Contact was made. Now I did bounce off and nobody ever went down, but I had no choice but to hit 3 different people. I tried to avoid them. There where many other near collisions, including almost mowing down children a couple different times.

And the icing on the cake: I had to politely asked a group of about 10 eager spectators to share the track on multiple occasions, only they were not being so polite in return. They refused to clear the track or share the space, were constantly mouthing off to me, and were purposely making me swing out into lane three... just for the sake of being pendejos. (And these weren't all young kids! Half of them were adults!!). They were even sitting and laying on the on the track at times! The only thing I could offer was an honest warning that I was wearing spikes, running fast, and might not be able to stop myself from stepping on hands. I generally don't have runner rage, and I was trying to not provoke these people, but I actually thought there was a good chance of getting into a fight. Finally after a few other runners were on the track, they backed off a bit. However, this crowd and a few others heckled me throughout the workout.

This was not a good environment for a focused track workout.

At least from an entertaining standpoint, on the 18th repeat one of the guys asked (in the best Cheech accent), "Eh man, what kinda battery you got in there?!" I could only laugh as I gasped for air.


All that said and the fact that I was doing this thing solo, it wound up being a very difficult 20x 400. Nonetheless, I still managed to pull off a 72.8 average. A little less consistent or lack of progressing as I would've liked... probably due to either being fired up or steered from distractions. In the end, it was very annoying and I was somewhat upset when I finished. Looking back, my splits actually weren't as bad as I had thought. I won't let it bother me but I definitely could've gone faster.

Yesterday, I was claiming that I'd be happy with sub 1:13's. I suppose given the conditions, this should suffice. So apparently not only do I have my wheels back, but I also have a bad ass battery to go with them!

Split recap w/ 80sec recovery
1- 1:12.3
2- 1:14.6
3- 1:12.8
4- 1:13.0 / 1-4 avg 1:13.2
5- 1:12.0
6- 1:13.7
7- 1:13.5
8- 1:12.6 / 5-8 avg 1:13.0
9- 1:11.9
10- 1:13.5
11- 1:12.8
12- 1:12.9 / 9-12 avg 1:12.7
13- 1:13.3
14- 1:13.3
15- 1:12.3
16- 1:13.4 / 13-16 avg 1:13.1
17- 1:12.4
18- 1:12.5
19- 1:11.5
20- 1:12.1 / 17-20 avg 1:12.1
Overall avg 1:12.8

No comments:

Post a Comment