9.10.2014

Chicago Half Marathon recap

I'm not gonna dwell upon this forever - but I'm actually a very annoyed about the race this year.

Let me ask one serious question - How fucking difficult is it to mark a course properly?? Alight, congratulations that they we able to get the overall distance "somewhat accurate" this year... But the markers were waaay fucking off!! This should be the absolute easiest thing to do with it comes to organizing a race and the Chicago Half consistently screws it up.

I've deleted my exact splits because they were completely useless, but I'm pretty sure they went something like this (I might've mixed up a couple in the 5 thru 8 stretch). Out of the first 8 miles though, only 1 marker was correct!!!  ONE!!! 

Split recap:
1 - 5:19
2 - 6:20
3 - 5:50 -guessing correct?
4 - 6:20
5 - 5:20
6 - 6:19
7 - 5:19
8 - 6:15
9 - 5:40 -finally getting it right
10 - 5:38
11 - 5:31-possibly short?
12 - 5:38
13 - 5:40
.1 - 0:37-unless I'm mistaken, seemed long?
Tot- 1:15:46
Avg- 5:47

Pathetic. I'm mostly annoyed because I simply didn't know how fast I was running, and I know I could've gone faster if I had a more accurate guide! I had to guestimate pace and sit with a small pack through 8 miles, hoping that we weren't royally screwing up. None of us had GPS's. Maybe that actually helped me go more conservative and then light it up later? Regardless, it wasn't until about 9 miles that I could do anything about it. In the end, I wound up getting aggressive and passing quite a few people, but also running out of room. I failed to catch a few runners that I should've been with/ahead of.

Anyway, whatever. It was a good workout. I ran well. Negative split. Felt decent at the end. I probably could've gone another mile or two at that 5:40ish closing pace. Weather was actually decent for a change. Blah blah blah.

Chicago Half Marathon: If you're reading this... PLEASE... after years and years in a row of repeating these mistakes... PLEASE MEASURE AND MARK YOUR COURSE. It's a simple task.  This isn't rocket science... and it doesn't even require fancy tools!!  Hell, even get a few boyscouts to do it or double check it!  I'm sure they'd enjoy the little adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment