6.25.2009

Is it Hades or Haiti?

Which ever it is, it's pretty hot there... and it's just as hot here too!

Weather in this city is shit. Chicago has 2 seasons: Winter and Summer. We go from bitter cold to blistering hot over night. OK, that's a lie. There's like a 2 week window on either side when we get pleasant 60 degree temps. All other times of the year, we're either below 50 or above 80.

Last week, I was bitching about having to run in TWO SHIRTS. This week, every run is a shit show with 90+ degrees. That switch got flipped last Friday. Summer's here until mid October. Now I'm not complaining - because I do looove the heat and the summer - but man, I feel like that heat's gonna kill many of my hard workouts this season.

Monday's tempo was brutal. Easily mid-80's. 5 mi, averaging probably 5:50's... excluding warm up and cool down. Most of the other guys went 6 or 7 miles. I have no idea how they managed. At least I managed to negative split the run as the last three miles were sub 5:45.

Last night, Chris and I struggled through 10x400's. The surface of the track had to be about 90-95 degrees. I was dripping buckets of sweat the moment my heart started beating north of 120. We were pretty steady though... splits were mostly 74-75's. A couple 73's. The heat took it's toll and we had to go from 60 sec recoveries, up to 75, then 90 seconds by the last couple.

After both of those hard workouts and a 9 day streak... my longest in probably 3 months... my hip has tightened up a bit. Not horrible, but defintely to the point that I need to give it a break. Taking today off. Hopefully a little rest will get let me bounce back on Friday feeling fresh.

1 comment:

  1. I felt good during that tempo on Monday. But, this morning I ran over 9 minute pace for a 4 mile run. The racing, relay and tempo are catching up with me. Anxious to hear about the Old Man Mile.

    ReplyDelete