6.01.2009

They'll call it a come back

I've been lazy about updating my running log lately. Mostly because I've wanted to chill out and ignore the training for a little while (which has pretty much been impossible). It’s all part of the recovery process after Boston.

Since the marathon, I've been trying to rehab my hip. The troubles have centered around extremely tight muscles / tendons along my iliac crest.... both in the front by the TFL, glute medius, and along the small of my back with the QL. It literally has felt like guitar strings coming off the top of my hip bone, going down into some of those muscles and towards the actual hip socket (greater trochanter).

I've gone through a number of physical therapy sessions, a lot of deep tissue massage work, and even a few acupuncture sessions. Ultimately, we still don't know what the main culprit has been, but we can say that the cause of the problem stems from A) weak glute medius, B) the tendonitis in my right ankle, which was obtained about a year ago from a subluxed cuboid, and C) the fact that I sit almost all day long while at work.

As of now, it does feel better than a few weeks ago, but its far from 100%.


In the process, my mileage has been lame. I basically felt the need to take a few weeks off, while only running once or twice a week. I’ve been working out a bit more often, but otherwise haven’t been doing much cardio. I started to pick it back up again two weeks ago w/ a couple of 30 mile weeks. It's sad because I feel like I’ve gone from being on top of my game, right back to square 1... Shorter distances right now are a struggle for me.

I know it'll come back, but I have to be patient. I lumbered through the
Soldier Field 10 Miler last weekend just for the sake of doing it... I was far from being able to race it, but I at least wanted to show up and place in the top 15 for my age group (stupid CARA points!). 63:32 was good enough for 14th and 94th overall.... a far cry from my 10 mile PR - set in the Cary 1/2 Marathon ~58:18.

SO, baby steps for now as things are starting to feel a little better... I’ll gradually roll some of the miles back up ahead of the MC200 (June 12-13th). After that, I still have some time before I really need to jack things up for the
Chicago Marathon. October 11th is officially 20 weeks away. This will be my 10th marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment