6.09.2009

A reintroduction to Lactic Acid

Last night was the first time I've run "fast" since the week before Boston, or about 2 months. During that previous tempo run, my hip tightened significantly mid-run and I was reduced to a painful walk.

This time around, no troubles whatsoever. I was fatigued and my lungs felt like they were on fire, but otherwise no mechanical problems. My hip actually felt completely normal during the run. A necessary jump start to my training, and it turned out to be a success. I did tighten up a bit on the cool down and I'm a little sore today, but nothing like the pain I was previously having.

In the last several days, I've had 2 key runs: the "15 mile wake up call", and the "welcome back tempo".

Whenever I start to pick my miles back up, these two runs are complete bitches. My body’s not quite ready to handle the lactic acid, and by the end I’m cashed. They feel like they're some of my worst runs - but they're major confidence builders.

15 shouldn't be much different than 13 miles. If I haven't run that distance in a few months though, that extra time on my feet becomes significantly more difficult. The long run becomes a mental and physical battle as it stretches beyond an hour and a half. On Saturday, I wanted to throw in the towel after twelve miles. My feet were dragging and the last miles felt like a death march. Experience told me though, deep down I'd be stronger on the other side if I just sucked it up and focused on putting one foot in front of the other.

Likewise, that first tempo burns. After only a few miles, the intensity will leave you gasping for air and your muscles feeling like concrete.
...Last night, the first mile felt great. I was rolling. 1.5 miles, and I was getting a comfortably fast turnover. 2 miles, and still feeling alright. In reality though, only 25% of the work was done. 2.5 miles, and “Ugh.” I started having doubts of how long I could actually maintain. At 3 miles, I was dying. I couldn't breathe. I was thinking of how hungry and thirsty I was. I needed fuel. Less than 6 minutes to go though. At 3.5 miles, "Suck it up, pussy! Time to throw down." I was toasted by the end. The 75 degree heat and humidity didn't help. It was only 4 miles - a complete joke compared to a few months ago, but the reality is: a starting point for the next step forward.

The 15 miler and the LT Threshold / Tempo runs are hands down, some of my best workouts. The first time through sucked, but they built mental and physical strength and endurance. They forced me to embrace my lactic acid, and going forward I'll learn to manage it more efficiently. That was a much needed kick in the ass to get me rolling again.

No comments:

Post a Comment