6.22.2009

Slowly but surely the rabbit returns

I've now had 3 weeks back in the 40's, and so far so good. No new injuries. Still some tightness in my hip, but the pain is significantly less aggravating than a few weeks ago. For the most part, my runs have all been "painless" (I don't want to say 100% pain free, but the pain has definitely been less noticeable)... So far, a successful come back from some very garbage post-marathon/injury mileage.

The only major problems is that I still feel physically out of shape. My cardio is no where near where it was. Just lots of easy runs, no major quality or speed... but my fitness is starting to show improvement and a come back.

My diet has consistently been garbage lately too. I'm easily 5+ pounds heavier than when I ran Boston. That's not a bad thing... but I feel like I need to give up some excess junk like cappuccinos, garbage carbs, alkihol, eating out, and too much cheese. Too much fat. I need more lean. Oh how I love my cheese though! At times, I think I'm single handily keeping Baker Cheese in business.

One noteworthy run: Last Saturday's 15 miler was much easier than the previous 15. It was during the first hot day of the year too (easily 80 w/ some intense sun). The first several miles were around 7:15 pace... then Claudia and I started to slowly pick it up. About 6 miles were at 6:45 or faster. I felt strong the whole way... though the dehydration and lack of gatorade hurt by the end. That was my first "solid" run in months as I actually felt my endurance coming back.

This week I should be above 50 miles. A good tempo run tonight, another 15/16 at the end of the week... and get this... an Old Man Mile on Saturday night. ...Sure to be a shit show given my lack of speed lately, but fun nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment